This Global Privacy Notice describes the types of Personal Information we collect, the purposes for which we collect that Personal Information, the other parties with whom we may share it and the measures we take to protect the security of the data. It also tells you about your rights and choices with respect to your Personal Information, and how you can contact us about our privacy practices.
Our privacy practices may vary among the countries in which we operate to reflect local practices and legal requirements. Specific privacy notices may apply to some of our products and services. Please visit the webpage of the specific product or service to learn more about our privacy and information practices in relation to that product or service.
1. Personal Information We May Collect
“Personal Information” means any information relating to an identified or identifiable individual. Examples of Personal Information include: name, email address, IP address, personal account number and phone number. We may collect the following Personal Information:
- Transaction information, such as personal account number, the merchant’s name and location, the date and the total amount of transaction, and other information provided by financial institutions or merchants when we act on their behalf.
- Product and service information, such as registration and payment information, and program-specific information, when you request products or services directly from us, or participate in marketing programs.
- Website, device and mobile app usage, and similar information collected via automated means, such as cookies and similar technologies.
- Job applications and related information when you apply for a job with us.
- Business contact information when you work for one of our business partners.
2. How We May Use Your Personal Information
We May Use Your Personal Information to:
- Process your payment transactions.
- Protect against and prevent fraud, and other legal or information security risks.
- Provide and communicate with you about products and services offered by Mastercard, financial institutions, merchants and partners.
- Provide you with personalized services and recommendations.
- Operate, evaluate and improve our business, including anonymization and analytics.
- Process your job application.
- Serve other purposes for which we provide specific notice at the time of collection, and as otherwise authorized or required by law.
If you are in the European Economic Area or Switzerland, we will only use your Personal Information with your consent; as necessary to provide you with products and services; to comply with a legal obligation; or when there is a legitimate and overriding interest that necessitates the use.
3. How We Share Your Personal Information
We May Share Personal Information with:
- Mastercard’s headquarters in the U.S., our affiliates and other entities within Mastercard’s group of companies.
- Service providers acting on our behalf.
- Other participants in the payment ecosystem, including financial institutions, and merchants.
- Third parties for fraud monitoring and prevention purposes, or other purposes required by law.
- Third parties whose feature you use in connection with our products and services or with your consent.
- Other entities as required under applicable law or in the event of a sale or transfer of our business or assets.
4. Your Rights and Choices
Depending on your country, you may have the right or choice to:
- Access your Personal Information, rectify it, restrict or object to its processing, or request its deletion.
- Receive the Personal Information you provided to us to transmit it to another company.
- Withdraw any consent provided.
- Where applicable, lodge a complaint with your supervisory authority.
If you are located in the EEA or Switzerland, you can exercise your rights by submitting a request as described in the “How to Contact Us” section below.
5. Data Transfers
Mastercard is a global business. We may transfer your Personal Information to the United States and other countries which may not have the same data protection laws as the country in which you initially provided the information, but we will protect your Personal Information in accordance with this Global Privacy Notice, or as otherwise disclosed to you.
If you are located in the EEA, we will process your Personal Information in accordance with our Binding Corporate Rules and other data transfer mechanisms.
6. How We Protect Your Personal Information
We maintain appropriate security safeguards to protect your Personal Information and only retain it for a limited period of time.
7. Features and Links to Other Websites
You may choose to use certain features for which we partner with other entities that operate independently from Mastercard, such as social media and third-party websites. We are not responsible for the content, your use of, nor the privacy practices of those websites.
8. Updates to This Global Privacy Notice
This Privacy Notice may be updated periodically to reflect changes in our privacy practices.
9. How to Contact Us
You can e-mail us, and our Data Protection Officer at firstname.lastname@example.org.